Rent a car in Dubai with Russian driver license – Learn more in the DCR blog
Dubai is a city with roads anyone is dreaming of riding along. The ideal option would be coming here for a vacation and renting a car. But what do you need? Is a Russian driver's license enough? Do you need an international license? Do you have to “sing a song and tap dance” about it? Let's sort things out a bit.
WHEN YOU RENT A CAR USING AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSE, YOU'RE PROVIDED WITH COMPREHENSIVE INSURANCE
You'd better apply for an international driver's license to receive comprehensive insurance when renting a car in Dubai.
Whatever happens, the insurance company will cover all expenses, not you. Please note that insurance is only applicable if the police are called immediately after the road traffic accident. No police mean no insurance.
Any Russian citizen can receive an international driver's license. It's not such a complicated and expensive procedure as you might have thought. It's true that you will have to spare a little time and money, but it's better than driving around with no insurance.
HOW AND WHERE YOU CAN RECEIVE AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSE IN RUSSIA
1. To receive an international driver's license, you should file an application with the State Traffic Safety Inspectorate, just like you do when you receive your Russian license. You should have the following on you:
- Personal ID. Preferably a passport, but in some areas, suitable passport or military ID.
- Valid driver's license. This is the usual driver's license you use to drive along Russian “roads”.
- 35х45 mm photograph — color or black-and-white. It's better to have a color photo.
2. Before you file the application, make sure you pay a stamp duty charged for the issue of an international driver's license. You can do this at the State Traffic Safety Inspectorate.
- The stamp duty is 1,600 rubles. If you make a wire transfer via the Public Services Portal, you're granted a 30% discount.
- You should keep the receipt and attach it to your application.
3. Then fill out the application for the issue of an international driver's license. As a rule, you will be issued your license within 60 minutes from filing the application.
- You don't have to get a medical screening again.
- You don't have to pass the tests.
- The international driver's license is valid for 3 years.